Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Writing poetry is a soothing exercise. Or, you have your own personal poetry slam and get some good anger issues exposed.

Several years ago I was attempt to write haiku, which I quickly discovered, is a very dumb way to communicate except for professional poets (and how many of them are there, huh?) , masochistic eighth grade English teachers, strange people who used to be beatniks and still mutter words hoping someone will remember to snap their fingers, and people that light to show out.

Counting words rather than syllables is easier, I thought to myself, and I started writing poetry with word patterns, not syllables.

My son, a published author PhDer, said it was a unique poetry form and he dubbed it georgeku.
I liked that and I believe I bought him a Christmas present last year as a thank you gift.

Poetry
in georgeku
form or pattern,
is designed to convey
images, emotions, thoughts or, perhaps,
nothing at all, excepting
an ending with
proper word
count.

No comments:

Post a Comment