Sunday, January 27, 2013

Uncertain 2: A work in progres

A little background:

Several years ago I wrote my first novel -- Uncertain Times -- and while it sold only about 1,200 copies, it gave me a check-off on my "bucket list' -- write and publish a novel. I learned a lot on how not to write a novel from "Uncertain," but did come away with a personal sense of accomplishment.

I also came away with a love for the book's two main characters -- Adnijio Benjamin Franklin Jones and his constant sidekick Bob. My PhD son, Dr. C .Jason Smith, a touted literary icon in his own mind (and mine) and publisher of two books and a hundred or more scholarly papers -- gave me the supreme compliment. "Bob is, as far as I know, unique in literary history."

Bob is Adj's inner voice, a stuttering conscience that keeps his host straight, or helps set his course as crooked as a Wall Street banker close to getting his bonus. After Uncertain Times was published and I had my first novel sitting in my hands, I promised to write a prequel of how Adj and Bob first became one and do a better job of writing their story than I did the first time.

For the past three years, I've been working on Uncertain People, a little story set in Mountain Home, Arkansas. Adj is a newspaper man working at the Baxter Bulletin and Bob is ... well, Bob. It has, like Uncertain Times, a cast of rich, unbelievable characters that pop up like the action figures in Whack-a-Mole games at county fairs.

Meet Thorburn Skeeter, a man who talks only in cliches.





“It’s official,” Thorburn Skeetcher said, while digging in his right ear canal with his right pinky. He was about two digits deep when he started up again. “The situation is cut and dried. The High and Mighty Shurf is going to cut and run. From the cut of his jib I can tell you his goose is cooked because he’s bound and determined to cut off his nose to spite his face.”
Eh-If he’s not kah-killed by fah-flying clichés starting wah-with the lah-letter ‘C’ first.
I thought Bob to hush and, trying to egg Thorburn on, said, “His argument don’t cut no ice with me. I think he’s trying to curry favor with his base constituency and just crying over spilled milk. As far as I’m concerned, he’s just crying in the wilderness.”
Jah-Jesus! Yah-you’ve walked into a gah-gunpowder fah-factory with a lah-lit match!
Thorburn fixed me with a look stout enough to etch glass. He took a sip of whiskey, cleared his throat, shook all over like a wet dog, and twisted his neck back and forth a few times.
“I’m not sayin’ he’s crazy as a coot, just that he’s crazy like a fox, and will be till the cows come home.”
He paused and I started to tongue-jump in.
Holding up a hand to stop my planned verbal intrusion, he said, “I’m just coming up for air. Now, as I was saying, the High Shurf thinks he’s going to come up smelling like roses, but I think we ought to call a spade a space and cast the bread of reason upon the waters of discontent. In other words, before we commit the cardinal sin of putting the cart before the horse and cast aspersions on his character, we should understand the man can’t see beyond the end of his nose.”
Pausing for a breath, Thorburn again held up the stop sign hand again. After a big suck-in of wind and a forceful exhale, he put his tongue in overdrive.
“It’s a fact you can catch more flies with sugar than vinegar, but we’re not looking to catch flies here. We just want to get with the High Shurf and chew the cud, so to speak, chew the rag, and make sure we don’t chicken out when the chickens come home to roost. There’s not a Chinaman’s chance he’s as clean as a hound’s tooth. Not clean as a whistle, neither.
“It’s up to us to clear the decks and take this cock of the walk’s cock and bull story and, come hell and high water, tell him not to count his chickens before they hatch or cry wolf. He needs to cut to the chase and come on like gangbusters telling the truth before he comes to grief.”
Thorburn sat back in his chair, crossed his arms and let a grin skid on his face like an eighteen-wheeler hitting a dumped load of Crisco.
Bob thought me to close my mouth and then offered:
 Gah-game. Sah-set. Mah-match.
As my Cajun cousin would say, “Cut to the quick, me.”


Two hours later I was wrestling with the Percale and trying to unbunch the blanket with the spurs, chuckwagon, and herd of horses on it. And I was mad. Real mad. I mentally pummeled myself.
What’s the matter with me? I could have worked in that’s the way the cookie crumbles, and cool as a cucumber, costs a pretty penny, crack of dawn, didn’t like the color of his money, and even child’s play.
Eh-I can answer tha-that. You gah-got knocked out of the cah-catbird seat because the cah-cat got your tah-tongue.
Yah-you’re not helping, Bah-Bob.
His stuttering laughter drove my funky mood ever deeper in the mental ditch.


Four days later, still smarting from my cliche smackdown,  I turned the corner, head down, checking to make sure I didn’t step on a crack . . . and ran slap-dead, head-on into Thorburn Skeetcher.
He gave a little woof as my shoulder hit him a good blow to the sternum. He sounded like a colic-y collie.
“Jeeze, Thorburn, I’m sorry. Are you okay?”
“Right as rain, I am,” he said, slapping on that hint-grin that I had come to know mean that a slide down his own personal cliché chute was en route. “A little accident like that don’t raise my hackles and not even if I rack my brain for an excuse to rake you over the coals.”
I blew out a little puff of air to calm me down and get my brain to working. I inhaled and girded my throat for battle. “I was just thinking about the rat race I find myself in and I was ready to read someone the riot act before you came along and I gave you an excuse to ream me out. You’re the real McCoy, you know that, Tornburn?”
He gave a slight nod, closed his eyes and gave his head a quick shake. “This is a red letter day, Boy-o. Everything is right as rain and before we ring down the curtain on this little happenstance, I want you to remember it’s not a good thing to rob Peter to rob Paul, to risk life and limb, to travel the road to Perdition, to rock the boat, to throw out red herring, to be rotten to the core. You get me?”
“Right as rai—you’ve already said that one. My bad!” He smiled serenely and Bob started snarling.
I took another deep breath. “While I’m not rolling in money, I do know that a rolling stone gathers no moss, and that a person who has rocks in his head is between a rock and a hard place.”
Thorburn looked at me like I messed my pants in Sunday School class and he was the head Christian care-giver.
“Roll with the punches, Lad. Don’t rock the boat, be rough and ready without a legitimate purpose, or rub salt in the wounds of those that don’t deserve it. Things like that rub me the wrong way and, as a rule of thumb, you can’t run the gauntlet of life by simply running off at the mouth. Your actions may be run of the mill, but with age and gained wisdom, that will run its course. If you want the red carpet treatment in life, you have to make ever day a red-letter day and not rest on your laurels. If any of this rings a bell, join the rising tide and roll with the punches.”
I stood there, a wounded target, no counter punchline. Then, an inspiration:
“Right on!”
Thorburn gave a little bow and headed down the sidewalk. After about three steps he started laughing and it only stopped when he was out of earshot.
Jah-Jesus, you’re pah-pathetic, you know that.
Granted, Bob. But what does that make you.
That shut him up.








No comments:

Post a Comment