Thursday, July 21, 2011

The education system is broken. So, are we going to fix it?

Before I go off on a patented rant, let me say this: I love teachers, even married one. I think teachers should be paid a minimum of $70,000 a year because of their commitment and dedication to our children.

That said, education in general in this country is, on the International Education Suckability Scale, a rousing, romping 1.2 on a 10-point scale.

While I have an opinion and know how to use it, I also have credentials that give me the right to power-punch the existing education system and all of its auxiliary ills. I have a teacher’s degree and have taught at the high school, community college and university level.

That doesn’t qualify me for squat. What does is the fact that I have four children who were educated in high schools in Texas and Arkansas, to some degree; the oldest two have advanced degrees and are professionals of note.The youngest daughter is a college graduate and the youngest son is exploring the world before he tackles higher education. All four are outstanding and will succeed in life.

Part of the credit for the success of the oldest two goes to certain teachers, and certainly to former Superintendent Pat Smith, an old school (pun intended) administrator who demanded the absolute best from her staff and from the students under her care. But, honestly, the teachers got a lot of help from home. Both parents set rules about educational expectations, made sure the kids knew the rules and the consequences for failure to do their best.

And, tough love was administered when applicable … both at home and at school.

I will never forget the day my eldest, one of the smartest kids on the planet, was sent to Alternative School for being a registered smart aleck. Pat called me to give me advance notice and to implore me not to cut the boy’s head clean off.

When son-boy got home, I laid into him with verbiage more fitting to a tattoo parlor a block from a Naval Base. He smiled and said, “You don’t get it, Pop. I’m in heaven. In Alternative School there’s pregnant girls and Hispanics who are still learning English. Heck, I’m king of Alternative School.”

He wisely left when I was looking for the machete.

I’m happy now I didn’t decapitate him. He’s a tenured professor with a Ph.D. in the New York City University system.

But I digress.

Let’s go back to that paying teachers what they are worth part.

$70,000. A tidy sum. But I wouldn’t bat an eye about watching my tax dollars go to worthy teachers.

Operative word: Worthy. There are way too many teachers in our schools who are in it for the wrong reasons: Summer vacation, long holiday breaks, retirement program, etc.

The problem with schools today is multi-faceted: Schools systems, state and local district stupid rules, the lack of qualifications for school board members, and parents’ abdication of responsibility in the education process.

Let’s make it simple.

The voting public should create a hell storm for legislators and mandate that all stupid rules that have nothing to do with teaching basic core material be eliminated.

Eliminate all fluff courses (look at the local handbook on courses; you can identify them readily) and put resources into remediation of students who need help.

Reduce the number of administrators and of those administrators that are left, all must teach at least one course.

Slash each school’s athletic budget by half and put the money into resources, like corporate-sponsored laptops for each student entering high school.

Tap into the community’s retiree community and solicit student aides, tutors and mentors.

Get rid of all rules prohibiting school administrators from coming up with ideas for identifying those teachers who cannot teach nor motivate. One idea: Using unbiased outside consultants, observe classroom performances of teachers and act on recommendations. Only three grades given: Adios, needs improvement with a short timeframe for improvement, and whatever-you-are-doing-keep-it-up.

(Before the fiscal hawks have a meltdown, consultants don’t have to be expensive. Work up a swap program with a nearby community and use retired teachers – the good ones – as evaluators.)

And, go to year-round schools. Our society is to no longer agrarian and this asinine summer vacation system needs to go by the wayside.

Succeed or fail? Right now, the system is failing. If you can’t see that from local and national district test scores, from the remediation rate of college freshmen, and from the fact that the U.S ranking worldwide is falling faster than an anvil dropped from an airplane, then maybe remediation is needed by the person in your mirror.

No comments:

Post a Comment