Thursday, May 28, 2009

How to change the unchangeable?

Despite what some folks claim, I do not possess one ounce of "exalted liberalness," I consider myself a civil rights liberal and a fiscal conservative: I want all programs for all deserving people but I don't want to pay for them.

The list of things I don't understand is huge ... and growing.

I've never understood why people in any single state have to pay for a Big Ditch fiasco in Boston or a subway system in Chicago?

I've never understood why taxpayers believe that "schools" were formed to ensure kiddies get to play sports. For example, many high schools spend more than $1 million annually on sports. The number of high schools with artificial turf football field in the $750.000 range is growing. Some high schools have huge fieldhouses with indoor half-football field and a mini-jumbotron.

I've never understood why government officials at any level (they can't at many states levels) think it's perfectly acceptable to run government at a deficit.

I've never understood why federal employees are not in the Social Security system.

I've never understood political correctness taken to the point it is today. My great-grandmother was an Indian, so I think the "Native American" title is a tad pretentious. I think the moniker "African-American" is dumber than a box of hair.

In my lifetime, those people who have a dark pigment to their skin and are citizens of the United States of America have been formally referred to as Negroes, blacks, Afro-Americans, African Americans, and "people of color." They may be some more titles but I've forgotten them. One of the two lead organizations that set themselves up to "promote" the black race is the NAACP -- the National Association of the Advancement of Colored People.

Confusing? Assuredly!

Back to labels: I want to dismantle the two-party system and have people run on ideas and principles, not on R and D labels. I want the Green Party candidates to stop trying to look like a member of something that would be called the "green party." For example, there are a few state officials across the country who are members of the Green Party. Most are certified whack jobs!

I don't care what they look like, whether or not they hug little hooter snails or bitter-tongued owls or whatever. But for the most part, Green Party-ers open their mouths and stupid, stupid statements come boiling out.

I want to abolish all "catch phrases" used in campaigns to incite redneckedness, liberal slobber or random emotions simply to get votes -- left-wing, right-wing, family values, believer in the Constitution, the American way of life, and on and on and on.

Any politician that says "I believe in family values" should be whipped with a graphite fly rod on the public square and have the durn thing filmed for showing on PBS. Politicians should be forced to get in front of real people and talk about what they believe in. To do that, campaign spending must be severely limited.

The sad thing about the possibility of changes at any level of government (except in the change-out of individual candidates), is that the politicians have to make the changes and they have no incentive to change laws that benefit themselves.

And the rant goes forth . . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment