Sunday, February 17, 2013

PC be damned

I distain political correctness. It’s not because I’m getting old, it’s because it inhibits give-and-take social intercourse among human beings. You know, talking.

I try and be politically correct because I really don’t want to offend anyone. Now, that is a condition of growing older. It’s not that I run from a hassle, I just have developed different “druthers”; I’d druther watch “My Name is Earl” reruns that verbally banter with someone trying to pick a spit-fight.

Being PC became fashionable about 25 years ago. I was doing my newspaper thing in Marshall, TX when I received a letter from the company CEO who said we were to scan our “work environs” for any types of material (cartoon, photo, saying, labels, etc.) that were politically incorrect.

I did just that and noticed the Association Press photos hanging back in the newspaper’s composition area of scantily clad models – both male and female -- cavorting in the surf somewhere. Male? Female? We were apparently equal opportunity political incorrecters. Down they came.

It was in the accounting department that I stopped and started laughing at a poster I had never noticed. “Sexual harassment will be tolerated. However, be warned, it will also be graded.”

It has always been my opinion that poster would do far more to deter sexual harassment in any workplace than some corporate edicts or government pamphlet.

Nowadays people can’t speak freely for fear of inadvertently hurting some person’s feelings about something.

I ask myself: Do Hispanics mind being called Mexican, if, in fact, they are of Mexican descent? Are my Italian friends Italian-Americans? Then, are acquaintances from Rwanda, Rwandan-Americans? Are my pigment-enhanced friends black, Black, African-American? I admit to being confused at times. Can one truly be African-American if the last time any of their relatives set foot on the continent was prior to 1800?

The name of the organization The National Association of the Advancement of Colored People just confuses me further.

I don’t understand the need for a Miss Black America Pageant since blacks (forgive me if that term is offensive) have entered and won the Miss America Pageant. After performing an internet search for “black associations,” I was fluxmottled! Who knew there’s a Black MBA Association with 8,000 members, Black Nurses Association, Association of Black Psychologists, American Association of Blacks in Higher Education, and even a Black Scuba Divers Association?

‘Black” seems to the term of acceptance, but on TV, “African American” is used more often. What term should I use? I don’t want to say the wrong thing but the problem is I don’t know what the wrong thing is.

I have a black friend (I checked with him, and in his case “black” is A-OK) who delights in calling me “pink toes” and “white bread.” I don’t find that offensive in any way; I have pink toes and I am as “white bread” as they come.

I have decided that it’s not necessarily the word or name that one is called that is politically incorrect. It’s the tone and intent that makes it non-PC.

What really matters is what is in one’s heart and mind and making your feelings clear to everyone who truly matters in your life.


1 comment:

  1. I'm with you George, except ... no matter what our intent, there are some words, symbols, etc. that offend folks and depending on the severity of their offense, we may need to modify our words, (etc.) just to be polite.
    A good example is the term "boy." Upon entering college, I quickly learned that my "Afro-American" classmates were deeply offended when I called them "boy." It didn't matter that I was in the habit of calling all males my age or younger, "boy."
    Another example is the "Stars and Bars" flag. My great-granddad fought for the south at Vicksburg and I'm still proud of the heritage while not in support of the history of slavery and racism in the USA (and the rest of the world.) So I don't display a confederate flag.
    I learned that lesson as a youngster when I took a trip to Galveston and came back with a "Maltese Surfers Cross." The beach movies were all the rage and every guy I knew wanted a surfers cross.
    Imagine my dismay when I showed it to my dad (a European Theater WWII vet) and he snatched it away from me and said "No son of mine is going to wear a swastika!" After I got over my shock and not a little anger, I realized that he was a product of "where he was when." Any Germanic looking symbol was offensive to a man who had fought Hitler's Armies. So I sacrificed a little and complied with his desires. It didn't matter that he was wrong about what the surfers cross meant. What mattered was that it offended him and I didn't want to do that ... intentionally or not.

    ReplyDelete