Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Parent. Child.

The love a parent has for a child is, sometimes, mirrored by the love a child, all grown up now, has for the parent.

I am fortunate to have four children, all of whom love me in their own special way. I tried hard – and sometimes succeeded – in letting them all know that a father’s love should be freely given and, above all, never ending.

It is said that a person’s legacy can best be defined by his or her children. That’s too simple, really. Children, although imprints in many respects of past generations, should always be thought of as individuals, not automaton clones of their parents.

Honestly, I have not always been the best father I could possibly be. I was first a father at 22, and was too immature to fully understand the importance of parenting. A strong, compulsive work ethic drove me as a young man to strive to be the best at my chosen profession, to the detriment to ever being a candidate for a Father of the Year award.

Despite the protestations of both older children, who always have positive things to say about those growing-up years (for all of us), I know I could have been less selfish and provided a more positive fatherly image that what I did. I can use the excuse of trying to make my mark in the world of community journalism as a reason for my lackadaisical attitude toward parenting, but it’s a flim-flam, self-serving excuse, at best.

I am blessed that 20 years later, two bright, wonderful children allowed me to become their father by choice and by law. Being a blended family is never easy; minor obstacles can become insurmountable emotional mountains.

How am I so blessed? Within the last 24 hours all four children, in telephone calls and text messages, have said the world’s most powerful words to me: Love you!

They don’t know how that simple expression of affection touches my heart and brings tears to my eyes. Or, maybe they do. They are all bright beyond belief; they’re perceptive and honest and don’t profess love without meaning it with all their heart.

I know I am not alone in having children that love me unconditionally and are not afraid of showing it.

Right now, in some niche of this big, old world, there is a child who is making sure his or her parent know the true meaning of love; that child is giving unconditional love to a parent that taught them that trait throughout their lives.

Like me, that parent is blessed. And, like me, that parent is appreciative of being loved by those we love.

No comments:

Post a Comment